July 29, 2008

Guilty as Charged...

So, since being a mother is full of guilt, I started to think about all the things I do wrong... and I've added my rationale.

1. I don't make my boys do chores. I find cleaning to be relaxing (I will even make their beds)
2. I don't make dinner every night. Find something in the pantry and I'll throw it on the stove or in the microwave.
3. I have cursed in front of my kids. Sometimes my boys really know the right buttons to push... and when I've reached my patience level.
4. I've listened to bad music (lyrics) around the boys. I can't help that I like music that makes me want to dance and feel young again, right?
5. I have let them eat dessert before dinner. I've only done this several times when I don't feel like fighting it.
6. I don't think about hardcore potty training until 3. They are boys, they need to reach the toilet. Need I say more?
7. I let my kids drink Pepsi and I don't pay attention to the amount of intake. I mean you are talking to a caffeine addicted here. (I'll repent tomorrow)
8. I don't always follow through with their punishment. I hate feeling like the bad person. I KNOW! Discipline is a form of love... I guess I don't have a good excuse for this one.
9. I don't teach my kids the abc's or 123's. I get too impatient and I figure I'd rather have a good relationship with my kids.
10. There have been days Ethan is on the xbox for more than an hour... or two. Hey, he's got good hand/eye coordination and (I'll use my brother's excuse) if there ever was a war, Ethan would know exactly what to do.

So as you can see, the perfectionist in me really hasn't converted the mother in me to being perfect. But who cares?! My boys love me and I love them and that's what matters.

P.S. The list could go on, but I don't know how much space this blog has.

5 comments:

arizonamama said...

Sarah, I know you and I know that half of these aren't even true. Even if you do these things "some" of the time, you don't always do them. Who doesn't do all of these things sometimes... especially after having a new baby? For instance, your boys are the best cleaners ever! When we were at your house in May Isaac was sweeping the entire kitchen and I heard you tell them to make their beds every day. You're such a liar! ...and we miss you too. The days are SO long...

arizonamama said...

One more thing. You're a great disciplinary. Your kids know you're serious when you tell them to do something. I've seen it a million times. They also love you to death.

Shani said...

I also don't believe you're guilty of the things you've listed because your boys are always so respectful and well behaved whenever we've been around you guys.
My kids on the other hand are the perfect example of my terrible parenting skills.

Anonymous said...

If that makes you feel better. You have chores for your boys, like the time I came over and they were cleaning the kitchen, so I thought I'd help and Isaac took the vacuum away from me. I have not heard you cuss in front of your boys and CRAP doesn't count. I have also lived there and saw you did fix dinner!

arizonamama said...

Sarah,
Remember you are raising coxs. There's only so much you can do.